The big idea
Investment readiness means that you are in a strong position to present your business to different investors and meet their requirements. You may have a particular project to put forward or you may feel that your business is ready for rapid growth. On this basis you might consider approaching different sources of funding, such as:
- Business angels
- Venture capitalists
- Other funders such as high net worth individuals
Seeking external support to allow your business to grow involves both ensuring you have a credible case to present and making a series of personal decisions to make sure you are comfortable with the direction you are taking the business in. The purpose of this tool is to help you think about some of the issues that might arise during this process so you are more likely to meet the needs of the investors and to succeed.
You are unlikely to be investment ready if:
- You are unwilling to give up a stake in the business
- You have an inadequate business plan
- You are not looking for fast growth. Can you provide a growth level of eight to ten times within five years?
- You do not have a proven need for your product or services
- You lack knowledge of your market
- You lack knowledge of the investment process
- You are unable to pitch your business effectively or credibly
This tool consists of a questionnaire that takes you through some of the key questions you need to consider to work towards investment readiness. It can be done on your own or with people who know you and your business well. It is for businesses of all scales interested in external investment. The questionnaire should take 20 minutes to complete.